|

Retinoblastoma

Rare cancer of the retina of the eye that occurs in children under the age of three. The tumour causes blindness in one eye and if it grows further it appears as as a greyish-yellow glowing mass behind the pupil. In 75 per cent of cases retinoblastoma occurs on one side only, in the other 25 per cent on both. The cancer may spread by metastasis to the brain. The retinal tumour can be discovered by examining the eye with a lamp. Treatment is by surgical removal of the whole eye. If both eyes are affect- ed the eye with the more developed tumour is removed, and the other eye treated by radiation or by laser beams. Tests must also be made for metastasis. If other cancers are found, further treatment must follow; if treatment is executed speedily, recovery is possible.

Similar Posts