Muscles, bones and joints

This area is covered by a number of specialisms. The rheumatologist is a specialist in rheumatoid arthritis and similar diseases of the locomotion system. The general surgeon operates on some kind of disorders that are not too specialized, such as torn ligaments. Fractured bones and menisci. The orthopaedic surgeon is called upon when the damage is more complicated. His work entails implanting artificial joints, merding compound fractures and also bone-lengthening operations in infantile paralysis or the stiffening of afflicted joints so that a stable position is possible. Many of the consultant surgeons in the UK are extensively trained in orthopaedics, although they may not be orthopaedic surgeons.