The muffin has various meanings in different countries.

In North America, it is a breakfast cake made with flour, milk and butter with baking powder used as a raising agent rather than yeast. It is baked in a special pan called a muffin pan.

In Great Britain, on the other hand, the muffin is a teacake made with yeast. It is cooked in a special ring called a muffin ring on top of the stove on a girdle or heavy baking sheet. It is cooked on both sides – unlike the CRUMPET which is made in the same way but is only cooked on one side. To add to the confusion, a popular crumpet-like breakfast cake in the United States is called an English muffin!

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus