– Potatoes that are cooked with their peel are much more nutritious than peeled potatoes, which lose many of their vitamins and minerals.
– Potatoes are well tolerated by persons with stomach or duodenal ulcers, but not good for diabetics. According to recent studies, potatoes, more than most other foods, cause sudden increases in blood sugar levels.
– If you buy organically grown potatoes, eat the peel, which is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, both of which combat cancer (antioxidants neutralize free radicals, while polyphenols prevent cellular mutation).
– Eating raw potatoes or drinking potato juice helps eliminate uric salts, and has long been recommended as a treatment for rheumatism.
– Potatoes that are stored for long periods lose much of their Vitamin C content. Potatoes kept over winter, for example, have hardly any Vitamin C left at all.