– reduce cholesterol levels
– have an anticoagulant effect
– are hypotensive
– lower blood sugar levels
– facilitate expectoration
– fight cancer
– are a powerful natural antibiotic
– decongest respiratory passages
Onions and cholesterol
There are two kinds of cholesterol:
– harmful LDL (low density) cholesterol, responsible for fatty
– deposits in arteries, and the cause of a number of cardiovascular diseases;
– beneficial HDL (high density) cholesterol, which has the opposite effect, preventing deposits of fat from accumulating and protecting arteries and the heart.
People who are said to suffer from high cholesterol actually have too much LDL cholesterol and not enough HDL cholesterol in their system. If you suffer from high cholesterol, eat half a raw onion every day for two months. This will double or even triple your level of beneficial HDL cholesterol. If you interrupt the treatment, however, your level of harmful cholesterol will rise once again, as your level of beneficial cholesterol decreases.
Onion is an anti-coagulant
– Onions help prevent blood clots from forming in arteries. Even better, onions stimulate a protective process in the body that dissolves existing clots. Needless to say, this property is of vital importance for persons who risk suffering a heart attack, thrombosis, phlebitis or embolism, or who have cardiovascular problems like chest angina or varicose veins.
Onions lower blood pressure
– Like garlic, onions contain prostaglandin, a hormone-like substance that reduces arterial tension.
Onions reduce blood sugar levels
– Raw or cooked onions stimulate the production of insulin and thus reduce blood sugar levels. Diabetics should eat onions regularly, both to control their blood sugar level and because they are more likely to develop cardiovascular problems.
Onions are a natural antibiotic
– Onions kill a large variety of harmful bacteria, including colibacilli and salmonella. Chewing onions is an effective way to disinfect your mouth.
Onions stimulate expectoration and decongest respiratory passages
– Onions should be used by persons suffering from bronchitis, colds or flu. Drinking 1 or 2 teaspoons of freshly pressed onion juice decongests bronchi and facilitates expectoration of mucous. Onions juice drops also alleviate earache pain.
Onions combat cancer
– A number of studies have demonstrated the anti-carcinogenic properties of onions, which inhibit the proliferation of cancer cells.
– Compresses of chopped onion help alleviate rheumatic pain.
– Onions act as a powerful diuretic, dissolving and eliminating urea.
– Onion juice disinfects cuts and wounds.