Rich with raspberries and cream, Devonshire Layer Cake may be served either as a luscious summer dessert, or as a teatime treat.
6 SERVINGS CAKE
6 oz. [3/4 cup] plus 1 teaspoon butter,
softened 3 oz. [1cup] castor sugar 6 oz. [U cups] flour 3 oz. [1 cup] rice flour, or fine semolina
3 oz. raspberry jam
10 fl. oz. [1 1/4 cups] thick Devonshire or whipped cream
4 oz. fresh raspberries
- Preheat the oven to fairly hot 375 °F (Gas Mark 5, 190°C). With the 1 teaspoon butter, grease 2 shallow 8-inch tins.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream the remaining butter and 2\ ounces \\ cup plus 1 tablespoon] of the sugar together until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the flours or flour and semolina, a little at a time, beating constantly until the mixture forms a paste.
- Press half of the paste into each of the baking tins and sprinkle the remaining sugar on top. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove the tins from the oven and let the cakes stand in the tins until they are cold. Gently run a sharp knife around the edge of the tins and carefully ease out the cakes. Place one cake on a serving dish.
- Stir the raspberry jam into the cream. Spread the cream mixture generously on top of the cake on the dish. Place the second cake on top of the filling. Decorate with the fresh raspberries and serve.